I don’t actually know if there’s a good way or a bad way to come up with the name of a brand but I do know one thing: you shouldn't waste too much time coming up with it.
This is exactly what we did to arrive at the name of our in-house brand, Orin:
1) Have each person on the founding team come up with ~5 names.
2) Narrow down the list to 5 by having each person vote for their top 5 that is not their own.
- Seth & Ella
- Second Wind
3) Find potential domains for each of the names.
We used Shopify’s Business Name Generator Tool to figure out what domains were available.
- Pulse - there were no acceptable names available so we ended up removing this from the list.
- Orin - shoporin.com
- Seth & Ella - sethandella.com
- Anonymous - anonymoussupply.com
- Second Wind - wearsecondwind.com
4) Send out a survey to friends and family.
We created a quick survey on Google Forms describing what the brand will be about and asked our friends to choose their favorite name.
These were the results:
Overall, it took no more than 2 hours of work over a span of one week to finalize the name - I'll call that a success.